Re: [SLE] Problems with Smart
  • From: stephan beal <stephan@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:03:54 +0200
On Saturday 15 July 2006 08:19, Ron Wilson wrote:
> Smart has filled up my /var system and /opt which is including in
> same system. It is 2.1Gb but doing an update/upgrade it filled to 100
> percent. What can I safely delete out of /var is my first question
> and second is am I doing something wrong in just updating/upgrading
> the whole caboodle. How big should I make /var in future so that I
> dont run into this problem again.
> Thanks

This isn't an answer, but a related tip:

When you delete an open log file, the space for that file is not
actually freed up. For example:

~> rm /var/log/messages

That won't do what you expect - the space is not freed until syslog is
restarted (typically during a reboot).

A way around this problem, if you need to quickly free up space used by
open log files:

~> echo '' > /var/log/messages

That empties out the file and immediately frees up the space used by
existing data in the file.

--
----- stephan@xxxxxxxx http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands