Re: [SLE] Almost in a panic here...
  • From: praxis <praxis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:18:35 -0700

yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I think I've screwed up in a major way. I use SuSE 9.3 by the way.
>
> Last night I tried to undo the manual mounting thing I'd read about on
> this list some time back (something with .fdi), but couldn't remember
> what it was, so I just deleted the .fdi file I'd created so I could get
> automounting back (for my DVD and DVD-Recorder). That didn't seem to
> make any difference, so I then went to fstab and removed the one I'd
> made and went back to the original. That didn't work either. So, I
> deleted fstab in the hopes that it would just recreate itself when I
> rebooted.
>
> That wasn't wise it seems. I had to start with the SuSE DVD and tried
> to 'repair' everything (I chose 'automatic' repair). All seemed well and
> I rebooted.
>
> Now, my system can't see my 'user' directories anywhere. I can log into
> root (obviously) but when I try to log into 'john' I get a pop-up window
> that reads 'Could not start kstartupconfig. Check your installation.'
>
> As root, I open konqueror to browse directories and when I click on
> 'home' there's nothing there.
>
> I'm really starting to get worried that I messed something up very
> badly, but I'm hoping that someone out there can help me figure out what
> to do to fix it. I'll stay on as root for now to check my mail (I have
> no other choice at the moment) as often as possible.
>
> Thanks to anyone and everyone willing to help me with this problem.
>
> John

Okay. John--
Let's go through this step by step. It sounds like you have a linux
crisis...I'll do my best to help you, and I'm sure some of the other
members of this list will pitch in.
Apparently you deleted your fstab entry. You need to ascertain where
your directories are, and then determine if they are intact.
One quick way to do this to use the "-l" facility of the fdisk command,
which looks like this:

yourhostname:/# fdisk -l /dev/hda
yourhostname:/# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Do this, and post your results to your next email. so we can take a look
at them.

- --Forrest