[SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:30:07 -0500
Once upon a time (not sure how many versions back this goes), there were two
version columns under Software Management, just as there are now, although
the column headings may have been slightly different (can't remember). If
the package had not been updated, the two numbers were identical. If the
package had been updated, the Inst. version was a larger number and was
highlighted (white on black background instead of black on white background,
or something like that). So, you could quickly go through the list to see
which packages had had patches applied to them. In looking in Software
management now, it looks like those columns both show the exact same version
in every single case. I know I've applied numerous package updates since I
first installed 10.1, so are these two columns now just redundant data?
Does anyone have instances where they show different versions in these
columns? Looks like it's either a bug or a feature that is no longer
supported (and one of the columns should just be removed).

Greg Wallace