Re: [SLE] Almost in a panic here...
  • From: yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:28:09 -0400
Quoting praxis <praxis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

<snip>

Forrest replied:

Okay, John, good. now according to the fstab you posted earlier :
I do see this also, a 'data1', but it's also empty, no /user or anything. This is also what's in my fstab:

/dev/hda2 / reiserfs defaults 1 1
/dev/hda1 swap swap pri=42 0 0
/dev/hda3 /data1 auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hda4 /data1 auto noauto,user 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /data1 auto noauto,user 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0

It looks like your main "/" partition is /dev/hda2, and your system is
using /dev/hda1 as swap. There are two other Linux formatted partitions
on this disk: /dev/hda3, and /dev/hda4. Also interesting from the fdisk
info you posted is that /dev/hda3, the third partition on your main
ATA/IDE hard drive, is marked "bootable" -- that might have been the
"boot" partition you were speaking of earlier. I would hazard a guess --
its only a guess --that your "home" is actually on /dev/hda4, based on
the size...but it could be either one.
Now the other disk, /dev/hdb, has only one partition, which you called
'movies'? You can't see it? Then it is unmounted. (Verify this by typing
yourhostname:/# df -h

[[..that will show you the disk partitions that are mounted right now,
in "-h" = "human-readable" format {with G notation for Gigabytes,
etc.}. IF you type just "df" it will show the results in block size
only...]]

Okay, after typing that, you should verify that you do not see any of
the directories in question, /dev/hda3, /dev/hda4/ or /dev/hdb1 in the
"df -h" output.

You got it perfectly correct. All it showed was /dev/hda2 and tmpfs.

Next step:
Experimental mounting of these directories under /mnt.
Now, John, you are going to have to test something here. Based only on
the information that you've supplied, I don't know what file system
these partitions were formatted with. You are going to have to test this
- -- the likely candidates are "reiserfs" and "ext3"...try both: [[..I'm
doing this example below for /dev/hda4, because its' the biggest
partition of the three. Similar procedure for the others..]]

yourhostname:/# mkdir /mnt/hda3; mkdir /mnt/hda4; mkdir /mnt/hdb1
yourhostname:/# mount -t reiserfs -o ro /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4

<snip>

One of these mount commands will successfully mount the directory, as
long as the data is undamaged. Try them now and email back your
results. Once your system accepts the mount command without error, check
to see the new filesystem with "df -h"
yourhostname:/# df -h

I'll wait for your response.

Yes, my fs is reiser. I now see /dev/hda4 and /dev/hda2 mounted. In konqueror, clicking 'mnt' shows my 'home/user' now, so you were correct that hda4 is /home, which means hda3 should be /...I think, since /boot should only be about 1 Gb or smaller.
So far so good, right?