[SLE] USB auto mount on SUSE 10.1 does not work.
  • From: "Andre Truter" <andre.truter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:59:48 +0200
Hi All,

We ran today into a problem with USB disks under SuSE 10.1.
We have written backup scripts that automatically detect if a USB
drive have been plugged in. Then it will start to do a backup to the
disk and beeps when it is done.
THis is used on servers running SuSE minimal install (No Graphical stuff)

This worked fine under SuSE 9.3 as it mouns the drive as soon as you plug it in.

But, then we had to upgrade one of the servers to SuSE 10.1 as we
needed MySQL 5 and PostgreSQL 8.1. Now the box does not mount the
drive anymore.
It detects the USB device, but does nothing with it.

We have goolged, but did not find any solutions. Everything I found
up to know is related to desktop systems. I understand that in SuSE
10.1 usb devices are mounted by KDE or GNOME processes.

Any suggestions on how to get SuSE 10.1 to mount a USB disk again as
soon as it is plugged in?
Other question is, how did SuSE 9.3 do it? (I am still googling for
it, but if someone have a quick link to save me some google time, I
would appreciate it)

Thanks

--
Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre_tux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.trusoft.co.za