Re: [SLE] Strands on PSU (somewhat OT)
  • From: Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:35:17 +0200
On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 15:48 -0400, James Knott wrote:
> Hans du Plooy wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I wanted to replace molex connectors on a power supply, ripped them off,
> > and then realised I didn't mark which black goes where (there are two).
> > Does it matter or are they interchangeable?
>
> Yes. ;-)
>
> They should be the same. The safest way to find out, is to use an ohm
> meter or continuity tester to verify. If you hook them up wrong you'll
> let all the smoke out, when you turn the power on. If the smoke
> escapes, the power supply won't work. ;-)

Confirming my theory that everything electronic is driven by smoke. If
the smoke comes out, it's broken.

Seriously. I have a multimeter with a "buzz" setting. If you hook it
up to two points and you get a buzz, there's a path for current to flow.
Thinking that if I get a buzz by hooking up both black wires, I tried
and got a buzz alright, but I also gut a buzz on any combination of the
four wires I tried. Testing volts or amps requires the power supply to
be on and the connectors to be plugged in to something.

So what I do hook the meter up to test ohms? My memory of electronics
is a bit hazy...

Thanks
Hans