[SLE] SOLVED Re: [SLE] Create, mount, & share VFAT partition over home net using SuSE 10.0 box as server
  • From: kbboykin@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:32:28 +0000

From: kbboykin@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello List,
>
> I have frustratingly tried to redo my SuSE server. SuSE 9.0 -> 10.0 (fresh
> install).
>
> I had HD problems (lost grub and a repair keeps saying partition is corrupt even
> though I can mount it using CD1) and bought a new HD. The old HD had a
> partition called /public which I used to share data, programs, etc that are
> windows or non-secure linux with my closed home net (no ssh or internet access,
> strictly a home net). The partition on the old server was ext3 (maybe reisers,
> can't remember)
>
> However, I want to partition this new HD, but now create this partition as a
> fat32 partition and automount it a boot for FULL access to all users to be
> shared across the home net. When I tried this root is the owner and no access
> is granted.
>
> I have a smb.conf from the previous and brought that over to the new machine. i
> have put various and sundry mount(s) for this drive in fstab. Here is the most
> recent: /dev/hda1 /public vfat auto,noatime,rw,users 0 0
> This does automount the partition, but WILL NOT allow me to create any
> directories. I can see the partition and all the files when I log in locally on
> the server, but that's it. It will not allow access over TCP/IP net.
>
> Please, someone, give me a URL or a step x step as my brain ( I am a novice) is
> now mush for trying. I am about to give up and go back to making this an ext3
> partition. I only want to make this a vfat so in the future if the server
> crashes, I can at least mount the fat32 partiton over the net using a net drive
> setup until I get the server back on line.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> --Keith
>
> --

Turns out this line in fstab works:
/dev/hda1 /public vfat auto,users,exec,dev,suid,rw,umask=0000

and the access issues over the home net was simply a matter of adding
Samba server and NFS server to the firewall allowed services and bingo, I'm in business again. Now to rsync all the files from the old drive to the new drive.

--Keith