Re: [SLE] Software Management -- "Avail. Ver." vs "Inst. Ver." in 10.1
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 01:51:56 -0400
On Sunday 16 July 2006 23:17, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Actually, under 8.1 for sure, whenever I applied a patch via YOU, that
> patch would show up under Software Management (or whatever it was called in
> that version) under the second version column.

These basic functions haven't changed from 8.1 through 10.0:

In 'Software Management' (formerly 'Install and Remove Software'), the two
columns we've been discussing are "Inst Ver", which logically displays
"installed versions" of packages and "Avail Ver", which displays the latest
"available" versions that YaST can 'see' across your configured installation
sources.

"Inst Ver" starts out empty until the original package is installed. The first
installed version is usually the original suppled with the distribution.

Thereafter, the version displayed under "Inst Ver" actually *advances* with
each applied patch and newer installed rpm (for example, from the
'Supplementary' branch.)

The version displayed under "Inst Ver" is stored in the rpm database.

"Avail Ver" has *never* displayed bug-fix/security patches nor the optional
packages I previously described. Patches and the optional packages have
*always* been distributed by SUSE through YaST Online Update (YOU.)

Moreover, "Avail Ver" *always* displays the latest version that YaST can 'see'
in your configured installation sources. You can check this behavior out by
temporarily adding an online 'Supplementary' branch installation source. When
you then open the 'Software Management' module, any newer versions provided
in the Supplementary branch will be displayed in the "Avail Ver" column. If
you then delete the Supplementary installation source, the version numbers
displayed under "Avail Ver" will revert to their previous values.

> The first version column was always the version from the original CDs.

This is only true if a package is never patched via YOU or upgraded to a later
version (again, for example, from a Supplementary repository.) The "first
column" is labeled "Inst Ver" ("installed version") for a _reason_.

> So, I could go into Software Management at any time and see which packages
> were still in their original state and which ones had been patched at some
> point along the way.

In 'Software Management', if you select an individual package by clicking on
it's row to highlight it, you can then select the 'Versions' tab in the
lower-right pane and review the version history starting at the original
version number. This is the only method I'm aware of where you can see if
"Inst Ver" is newer than the version that was originally installed.

> That's why I noticed the difference in 10.1. Based on your explanation,
> now, once a package has been updated, you will never again see the version
> that was from the original DVD in the left column.

My explanation did *not* cover 10.1. It covered '8.x through 10.0'... please
read my previous post again. Besides, what you've indicated here is actually
true from at least 8.1 though 10.0 but I don't yet know how it's handed under
10.1.

> Based on your explanation, that's just the way it is now supposed to work
> now. I had just never noticed that difference until today. I think I liked
> the old way better.

I don't understand how you've managed to misconstrue what I've written. I said
the exact opposite. The "old way" is as I described it in my previous post
and *again* as I've described it above.

> I mean, if you want to know if there's something new out there you can let
> the Software Updater notify you (if it's working) or run YOU and see if
> there are any new packages available.

What???

YOU *is not* the same as 'Software Management'.

YOU accesses special 'update' directories where bug-fix/security patches and
certain optional packages are distributed.

'Software Management' uses proper installation sources (or "repositories")
such as CD/DVD, ftp, http, hard disk directory, etc.

In other words, the 'YaST Online Update' (YOU) and 'Software Management'
modules serve related but very *different* functions. The first handles only
bug-fix/security patches and optional packages. The second handles packages
stored in proper installation "repositories". Again, this has been true from
8.1 through 10.0... I'm not discussing 10.1 at this time.

> So, it seems like having that history of original vs current out in Software
> Management would still be useful information to have, but maybe there's an
> advantage to having it the way it is now that I'm just not seeing.

I'm off to bed now. Have a great night!

Carl