Re: [SLE] How to start a computer remotely - generic Q
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:13:28 -0700
Damon,

On Monday 17 July 2006 07:52, Damon Register wrote:
> Arun Mallikarjunan wrote:
> > electronics use almost 40% of their normal wattage even when
> > switched
>
> I wonder if that is from the same people who convinced some
> friends years ago that switching flourescent lights off and on
> made them use double the electricity so they should be turned off
> as little as possible.

What we need there is to move as quickly beyond fluorescents with their
hideous spectral characteristics to high-output, LEDs for home and
office lighting. (Not that I'm agreeing with the silly contention that
switching fluorescents increases their power consumption.)

> I guess it is the curse of being an engineer; I am going to have
> to measure the power use of my TV tonight.

That's a special case of the curse of being intelligent and
well-informed...

40% is extremely unlikely for a TV, but a reasonable estimate for a
clock radio, perhaps.

I've heard estimates that the "vampire" devices--those that remain
powered when "off" so as to be amenable to remote control--consume
about a gigawatt in the U.S. What's the total capacity of the North
American power grid? Clearly it's far above the 2.5 GW that would be
consistent with the 40% number.

Check out <http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004379.html>,
<http://standby.lbl.gov/Data/SummaryChart.html> and
<http://standby.lbl.gov/Data/SummaryTable.html>. A priori, I'm inclined
to give credence to a study on power consumption by Lawrence Berkeley
National Lab.

> Damon Register

Randall Schulz