Re: [SLE] How to start a computer remotely - generic Q
  • From: kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:27:54 -1000
It's a shame that one of the most important issues in the world today is left
to non-technical people to bring forth. Yes, the clueless soul who pulled the
40% figure in the scare-o-mecial did so just to impress, but it is possible
that some instant-on tv from an earlier time did use a lot of juice while
idling, tubes needed a lot of power for stand-by and then more for full on.
Today the problem is with the individual power supplies for the lcd, the
printer, the cable modem, the router, the digital camera, the ipod, the
shaver etc. and when you consider that every watt wasted by the end user
means that the powerplant must burn three plus watts worth of fuel, things
add up. Yes, i know there are power plants that can reach 60%+ efficiency,
but there aren't many of them and that can not be constant day and night.
sooo, maybe along with judicial use of apostrophe's, (does the same apply for
comma's or parenthese's?) one should consider turning off the power strip and
not just the computer at night. You might not save much and you might even
push the powerplant to inefficient idling, but it would surely help a lot
during the day. and if you really wanted to help, there would be no tv and no
computers on during the day, all would be turned on only at night, after the
evening peak...
Dimitris Economou
retired power plant engineer