Re: [SLE] SCPM profiles and network proxy settings
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:44:02 -0400
On Sunday 16 July 2006 7:42 am, pelibali wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:29:51 -0400
>
> Jerry Feldman <.> wrote:
> > I'm primarily interested in changing the Firefox proxy settings with
> > scpm.
> >
> > One way to do this is to have a script make the appropriate changes to
> > the prefs.js.
> >
> > The global proxy is set in sysconfig which is changed by scpm.
>
> I don't know, which SUSE you use, but on 9.1 Firefox 1.0.8 DOESN'T know
> the system's proxy settings. Why you fight with scpm, if you have
> possibility to make profiles under Firefox itself, e.g. via "firefox
> -ProfileManager". I used to setup at least two profiles there, one direct
> and another with proxy. When you wish to start Firefox, you could do it
> e.g. by
> firefox -P default
> firefox -P proxymoxy
Actually the problem is solved.
In Firefox Preferences/General/Connection Settings, use "System Setting".
This will cause Firefox to use /etc/sysconfig/proxy.
Then in the Profile Manager, you would simply need to edit the resource
Group, "Basic Network Settings" and enable /etc/sysconfig/proxy.

This works great, at least for Firefox and for Konqueror.
in my case I have 5 different profiles that I use for different places.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group