Re: [SLE] How to start a computer remotely - generic Q
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:05:25 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
> Damon Register wrote:
>
>> I wonder if that is from the same people who convinced some
>> friends years ago that switching flourescent lights off and on
>> made them use double the electricity so they should be turned off
>> as little as possible.
>
> I thought the key thing with fluorescent lights was that the turning on
> significantly reduces the overall life of the neon-tube, and they are
> therefore best left on instead of switched on/off. Maybe that's no
> longer correct, or maybe it never was?

A fluorescent tube that's turned off draws no power. There will be a
brief surge when turned on. So, unless it's being turned off and on
repeatedly, there's no way that statement holds.

BTW, fluorescent lamps do not use neon. they contain mercury vapour,
which emits light in the UV range, which the phosphors coating the tube
then convert into visible light. Neon lamps contain neon gas, which
emits an orange lights.