Re: [SLE] module missing in the upgraded kernel
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:43:03 -0500
On 7/17/06, Sunny wrote:

The problem was, that the dm-mod.ko file was missing with that kernel.
I do not recall any problems during the update. But it was not there.

Anyway, I booted to rescue with the CD, then mounted the filesystems,
chroot, and downgraded to 2.6.13-15.8 and now everything is OK.

I did not had time to experiment and to update again to confirm if the
install is broken, or something else have been wrong the previous
time.

Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions.

I'll try later today or tomorrow to update the kernel again and will
post my findings.

Cheers

Ok, I tried the update again. I'm using smart for that. The strange
thing was, that smart decided to install first the nongpls rpm, then
the sources, and then the kernel itself.

It reported some problem with the post-install script of the nongpl
rpm, not finding the System...map file in /boot, but everything else
went OK.

I checked after that that I have dm-mod.ko is present, and reinstalled
the nongpl rpm. It reinstalled OK, without any error.

The reboot went OK and my system is up and running.

So, maybe something went very wrong last time I did the update, and
the modules were not written.

Thank you all for the help.

Cheers

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a
2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.