[SLE] Powersaving tips
  • From: Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu_marin-caea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:20:11 +0300
On Tuesday 18 July 2006 03:24, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> It the computer has a power up pin, it would be possible to use the ring
> line from the external modem to wake up the computer - but any ring, mind,
> even for a wrong number. And the power supply would be on full time.
>

> An alternative would be having a router with some shell capacity, like
> sshing to it, then activating a wake on lan event to the internal lan
> somehow. Is there a router with that capacity?

There must be. WOL is not applicable here. Wake on ring could work.

If energy saving is the concern, how about another approach: leave it on, but
configure stand-by properly:

1. Automatic turn off hard-disks after 20 min of inactivity. Quick and
dirty--add this to /etc/init.d/boot.local: hdparm -S 240 /dev/hda (works for
sda too)

2. Configure your desktop environment to turn off the monitor after a while (I
think this is default, at least in KDE)

3. Use Intel Speed-Step (configuration in BIOS) or AMD PowerNow. SUSE
includes the package "powersave" that has default configuration which takes
advantage of these, but you need to make sure they're enabled in BIOS.

While these are nice, the few informed people who will use them will not make
much of a difference, because the informed people are few. :-)

What would make some difference is those things being default (in Windows).