Re: [SLE] Gates [OT]
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:23:45 -0400
At 03:13 PM 7/18/2006 +0200, jdd sur free wrote:

>Daniel Bauer wrote
/ snip/
>But it could also be true that bugs are intentional. Bugs
>makes the users constantly upgrade, in the desperate hope
>than the new version will have less bugs than the other.
>
>this is very money catching for m$
>
>I can't understand, if this is not true, how a so rich
>company can't afford to sign on competent programmers...
>
>and XP have still blue screens. My son bough yesterday a new
>(game) computer. it crashes the very same day...
>
>jdd
/snip/

I would agree that M/S has certain deficiencies that they
know about, but I sincerely doubt that any bugs are deliberately
written into their software. I understand that XP has something
like 50 MILLION lines of code. If you have ever programmed anything,
and I have, altho it might have been only a few hundred lines
at a time, you know that bugs are inevitable. (I'm not a real
programmer; I'm a retired RF engineer, but "back in the day" we
all did some programming, mostly in BASIC or Fortran.) Anyway,
I have dealt with my share of "real" programmers, some of them
really outstanding at what they do, and I never met one who didn't
have bugs on occasion. Who in this lifetime can possibly
troubleshoot 50 million lines of code? Or anticipate all the
possible scenarios that the users can create.

M/S is not the only guilty party: One of my favorite programs
as an engineer was AutoCad. They somehow managed to screw up
their own invention, .DWG files, so that they wouldn't run
on _their own software updates_ or, of course, on other S/W
that promised to run .DWG files. I have no idea if this was
deliberate--only that it was a PITA for all users and others
who had to work with or from these files.

And M/S fixed it so that with W98, the conversion program
from MiCAD (EESof) to AutoCad wouldn't work anymore. Probably
not deliberatly, just out of stupidity.
BTW, I have been running this XP-Pro system for probably 2 years,
and have never seen a blue-screen, altho one or two things have
crashed the system. I would be on the Linux machine, but the
e-mail has developed a glitch that no-one on the list could suggest
a fix for, and the damned thing won't let me reinstall 10.0.
And Suse on _this_ machine can't access email--I don't think it
likes the network interface built in to the PCB.

Just my 2 cents. I don't hate M/S. I distrust them like crazy,
but not to but in bugs--to put in RENT.

--doug, wa2say