Re: [SLE] Home made NAS with SUSE - filesystem questions
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:47:20 +1000
HG wrote:
Hi!

On 7/18/06, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx <suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 18, 2006, at 9:30 AM, HG wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm planning to build a home made NAS using old harware and SUSE. SUSE
> might not be the best OS for this, but it's the only Linux I have
> administered at least somewhat.
>
> Ok, what I'm thinking is a old PC with lot's of old disks inside and a
> gigabit ethernet (planning to do video editing over it also).

I think what you need to look at is freenas.
http://www.freenas.org/

we have one running. runs very nice.
You configure it with a web browser. Simple as it can get. Honest!

I believe... but I do wish to do other things with it also now and
then. Freenas seems great but a little limited.

as for as doing Video with it... can't say on that. we don't do video.

I should not have mentioned video... I wish people could actually
answer my questiong and not argue about transferring the video....

I must be missing the point here, but you did say that you wanted to "do video editing over it also" and how are you going to do this without transferring over the link the images you are editing? If you are sitting in front of the monitor of one computer and try editing the file on the other computer the images/file must be sent to you in the process from the other computer, no?

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus