Re: [SLE] Suggestion to improve OpenSUSE by providing only selected package!
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:57:03 -0600
On 18/07/06 18:19, The Nice Spider wrote:
>>Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>

>>>I specifically buy SuSE linux because they provide
>>>
>such a wide range of
>
>>>ready-to-run applications.
>>>
>>don't worry. A new selection system is on the way
>>
>that will give the
>
>>usefullness of both solutions. see opensuse lists
>>

>http://lists.opensuse.org/archive/opensuse-factory/2006-Jul/0074.html
>
>>jdd
>>

>nice work! but i see some package with same function
>stilll exists! i.e:
>- gnome or kde (fvwm2 is not popular), please choose
>only 1, we can not
>serve 2 master
>- mail server: postfix or devecot
>- office app only 1 nominator, open office
>- etc.
>
>and "pattern" with "must-have" and "should-have" must
>me put in the first cd
>while "may-have" put as additional/extra cd. i believe
>the dev of opensuse
>will increase very quick.
Linux is not Windows, it is not like Windows, God forbid it should ever
become like Windows.. Linux is all about choice, and if you strip out
Gnome in favour of KDE only, you eliminate a great number of
applications that many people prefer to use -- and vice versa.

No one is forcing you to use one desktop over another, one mail server
over another, one office suite over another, one browser or email client
over another -- if you do not like the selections that are suggested to
you, simply uncheck those during installation, and select others.

It is all about choice, not forcing someone to use someone else's notion
of the "ideal". The sooner you get your Windows mentality behind you,
the better off you will be using Linux.