Re: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 02:01:17 +0200
On Thursday 20 July 2006 00:26, John N. Alegre wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 16:37, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > Setting up the config you want with cyrus IMAP is very simple on
> > SUSE. If that's good enough for you I could put together a step by
> > step howto
>
> Please do.

Concept: A mail server that doesn't accept remote connections to deliver mail.
Mail are fetched from a remote server that handles incoming connections, and
delivered locally to an IMAP server (cyrus)

Packages needed: postfix, cyrus-imapd, fetchmail, fetchmailconf (GUI for
configuration of fetchmail, not strictly needed)

I'm assuming either SUSE Linux 10.1 or SLES 10 here (note that in SLES 10 you
can do this through the YaST mail server module as well)

Step 1: install the required packages.

Step 2: configure postfix
edit /etc/sysconfig/postfix and change POSTFIX_LOCALDOMAINS to include your
email domain. For example if you have an email address foo@xxxxxxx it should
be

POSTFIX_LOCALDOMAINS="bar.com"

also change POSTFIX_MDA so it reads

POSTFIX_MDA=cyrus

Then run SuSEconfig --module postfix

Step 3: start cyrus and its authentication daemon
rccyrus start
rcsaslauthd start

Step 4: restart postfix
rcpostfix restart

You now have a working mail/IMAP server. At this point you need to create an
account on the cyrus server. If you open an email client and configure as
incoming account to point to the cyrus server, it will automagically create
the account for you. However, by default the quota will be set to 10MB, which
might be a little low for you( I know it is for me), so before you do this,
you may want to edit /etc/imapd.conf and set autocreatequota: to something a
little higher (it needs to be more than 0, otherwise the account won't be
automatically created)

Step 5: configure fetchmail
either manually, if you know the config file syntax, or through the
fetchmailconf GUI

Step 6: run fetchmail
If in the config you set it up as a daemon, run it as a daemon, otherwise
set up a cron job to run it at regular intervals (not sure how specific I
need to be about this step)

That should be all. I actually set up my desktop machine as a mail server as I
went along, to verify each step, so the above should be relatively accurate,
but I may still have missed something, so for your forgiveness in advance I
beg

Hope this helps

Anders