Re: [SLE] Smart Update problem
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:00:58 -0400
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 21:45, Basil Chupin wrote:
> BandiPat wrote:
[...]
> > Clint,
> > If you are comfortable with YUM in Fedora, you might also want to
> > stick with that in SuSE. I have been using KYum recently with the
> > added advantage of YUM from the command line and find it to be
> > quite efficient! I've looked a Smart, but wanted a KDE interface
> > where KYum fits that requirement nicely. I also felt the need to
> > get away from a mono programmed YOU.
> >

> > YUM seems to be quite a good program for updating. The only thing
> > I wasn't prepared for was that it downloads all the update files
> > first before installing, where YOU does them individually.
> > Otherwise, I'm becoming a YUM convert! :-)
>
> Sorry, I am jumping in in the middle of a thread and haven't read
> this last paragraph.
>
> "Where YOU does them individually." This is something which I find
> totally mindboggling but then I may not know the full story behind
> how YOU actually works.
>
> In SuSE prior to 10.1 YOU would download ALL the update packages
> before applying them to the system. In 10.1 this suddenly changed and
> the updates are applied as they are received.

Basil, got my updaters mixed up. YOU, the security updater, still
performs as it did before, but Yast2 updater, zmd, rug or whatever it
is now, downloads, then updates/installs each file as it gets them.
Smart and YUM both download all files then installs.

Sorry about the confusion.

regards,
Lee