Re: [SLE] Smart Update problem
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:25:25 +1000
BandiPat wrote:
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 21:45, Basil Chupin wrote:
BandiPat wrote:
[...]
Clint,
If you are comfortable with YUM in Fedora, you might also want to
stick with that in SuSE. I have been using KYum recently with the
added advantage of YUM from the command line and find it to be
quite efficient! I've looked a Smart, but wanted a KDE interface
where KYum fits that requirement nicely. I also felt the need to
get away from a mono programmed YOU.

YUM seems to be quite a good program for updating. The only thing
I wasn't prepared for was that it downloads all the update files
first before installing, where YOU does them individually. Otherwise, I'm becoming a YUM convert! :-)
Sorry, I am jumping in in the middle of a thread and haven't read
this last paragraph.

"Where YOU does them individually." This is something which I find
totally mindboggling but then I may not know the full story behind
how YOU actually works.

In SuSE prior to 10.1 YOU would download ALL the update packages
before applying them to the system. In 10.1 this suddenly changed and
the updates are applied as they are received.

Basil, got my updaters mixed up. YOU, the security updater, still performs as it did before, but Yast2 updater, zmd, rug or whatever it is now, downloads, then updates/installs each file as it gets them. Smart and YUM both download all files then installs.

Sorry about the confusion.

Ah, OK, so YOU is still working the intelligent way :-) .

Cheers.

--
"It is well known that among the blind, the one-eyed man is king".

Desiderius Erasmus