RE: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
Anders Johansson [mailto:andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx] offered:

> On Wednesday 19 July 2006 22:33, mlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > John N. Alegre [mailto:lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wondered:
> > > Could some kind person point me to a good HOWTO or tutorial
> > > on setting
> > > up POP Mail on a SuSE 9.1 Pro system.
> >
> > I'd like to find a neat, concise (yet explanatory, as in,
> why you are doing
> > each step and what the options are... hmm, probably defeats
> "concise" right
> > there, doesn't it) HowTo for setting up an IMAP server on SUSE.
>
> You talk about Courier, is that a hard requirement?
>
> Setting up the config you want with cyrus IMAP is very simple
> on SUSE. If
> that's good enough for you I could put together a step by step howto

That would be positively marvelous, especially if you
were to annotate it with the odd parenthetical "we do
this because..." or "this is done here instead of
there because..." "The antecedents that you need are
the following ..." "You add this to Xinetd this way, and
you want it controlled from here because..." or "You make
sure that none of this is mentioned in Xinetd because that
would screw up..." ... other stuff I haven't thought of,
or don't know to mention.

The object would be two-fold:
- to get me and other people up with a working house mail server
- to have us understand how we got there (when previous attempts
got lost in conflicting options and misconceptions)

For example, if you want a general service for several
people, who have the option to log onto the serving
machine and read mail from there, OR to read their
mail from other PCs in the building (I'll worry about
remote webbish access in part 2), then you want fetchmail
and <whatever goes in the middle> and IMAP server to
all start and run as processes when the machine boots.
... so why does fetchmail have little config files
for each local user, in each respective home directory,
and are they even seen if the given user is not logged
in, and what about mail users who don't have login
accounts on the server PC? Why _don't_ they need little
fetchmail config files of their own?

Similar questions about IMAP. And where should the mail
be going for the IMAP server to handle it, if _some_
of the users are local login users, but some are
remote-only and don't have a login account on the
serving PC?

Does IMAP need/expect that all the incoming mail will
be in one place, or can it handle (say) /data/Maildir
for the non-local subscribers as well as individual
~/Maildir for those who have local login accounts?
What about that question makes it stupid? :-)

I mentioned Courier because that's what was used in
the HowTos to which I originally pointed John Alegre.
No other attraction to it.
My first-ever attempt at a server was with Cyrus, but
I tripped over stuff to do with authentication and
might also have had a generic IMAP trying to run at
the same time, or maybe Cyrus does like Postfix does
(when it pretends to be sendmail), and presents an executable
just called "imap" or "imapd"... does it? After I
finished installing SUSE 10.1 and blundering through
the (attempted) mail setup, Xinetd seemed to think
there was something called imapd, and nothing called
Cyrus-IMAP... though I think there was a Cyrus-sasl
daemon (listed in xinetd) that wasn't active... so easily do I confuse.

My second-ever attempt was with Dovecot, which is part
of my current pickle. Courier or Dovecot not necessary
at all. If simple and reliable can happen with Cyrus
chained to a couple of other necessary apps, bring it on.
I'm going to be monkeying with LDAP or sasl before this
is over, aren't I?

What I'm aiming for is:

Inbound
=======
- fetchmail gets mail from my ISP for my personal account and for three
others (maybe later I try to figure out how it gets gmail)

- any other magic that needs to happen (I've read lots of confusing things
about Postfix and Procmail and all kinds of other stuff that I need or don't
need, depending on who's talking and which way the wind is blowing, how old
the FAQ or HowTo is, etc.) Maybe there's nothing between fetchmail and
(Cyrus) IMAP and this step is empty?

- an IMAP server finds the mail in a place and format that it can use (I
think I prefer Maildir format, but I'm prepared to be corrected on that,
too)

- I (or other user) can log on locally and read, sort into folders, delete
some, but mostly _keep_ all my mail for a long time (years) and
see/manipulate it with any mail-client (mostly KMail, but I might use
others)
The mail should never magically disappear just because it's been read, or
just because it's reached a certain age. If that ever happens, I'd want it
to be because of an explicit choice on my part, not because I overlooked a
default or some-such. I hate surprises. :-)

- I or another user should be able to connect from other machines on my
household LAN and do exactly the same reading/sorting of mail, which should
_stay_ nice and safe on the IMAP server, not being deleted unless
specifically targeted by the user/client. Someday, same should apply from
outside my house, but not a priority.
If there's a way to safeguard IMAPped mail against stupid general deletion
policies in (say) a Mac mail client, that would be good.

So, some of the above stuff will involve me putting the right names and IP
addresses, etc. into the right places when configuring fetchmail, Postfix?,
Procmail?, Cyrus.
Note that I don't have a DNS server on my little LAN, if that makes a
difference.

OUTBOUND
========
- mail-reader client generates new mail or replies to a mail, and it goes
out to my ISP and to the world.

Whether the path out to the ISP is direct from the client program or is
first routed through Postfix or some other app on the server PC is a "don't
care" for me, until somebody tells me of advantages to be had.

I'm thinking that the IMAP server oughta be involved somehow on the outbound
path, 'cuz otherwise how do I have a "Sent Mail" directory/folder that's
central and up-to-date?

Inbound or Outbound, I'm not very concerned about virus scanning, because
I'm running a Linux box, and most of the clients are Linux or Mac... but if
it's easy and cheap on resources, I'm game... but only when the basic mail
service works and I can breathe again.

Was that the level of tinkering-HowTo that you were volunteering to address?
Many will thank you and buy you beer. My virgin daughters will... wait, I
don't have kids... will think of something.

Kevin