RE: [SLE] POP Mail HOWTO?
Anders Johansson [mailto:andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx] kindly wrote:

> Concept: A mail server that doesn't accept remote connections
> to deliver mail.
> Mail are fetched from a remote server that handles incoming
> connections, and
> delivered locally to an IMAP server (cyrus)
>
> Packages needed: postfix, cyrus-imapd, fetchmail,
> fetchmailconf (GUI for
> configuration of fetchmail, not strictly needed)

If I run fetchmailconf while logged in as my regular
user, am I creating one of those ~/fetchmailrc files
that applies to just my user, or the general fetchmail
config that applies to all mail (this user or other)?

What I want is the general case. I guess I can just
duplicate lines in the central conf file, changing
my account specifics to my wife's, and then to the other
user's...

I have a big /data partition, and it would be handy
if:

a) fetchmail put the incoming mail there for all users
b) Cyrus-IMAP knew to expect it / keep it there,
rather than in some other (default?) place like /var/spool

> I'm assuming either SUSE Linux 10.1 or SLES 10 here (note
> that in SLES 10 you
> can do this through the YaST mail server module as well)

I've got SUSE Linux 10.1 (DVD from the boxed set).
Not SLES.
I'm sure I recall running a YaST module about
configuring mail. After I ran through it and
gave it info about my mail account name, ISP's mail
server, and other stuff, it ended, and I wasn't yet
at a working mail system, which is when I started
reading about Cyrus and IMAP and fetchmail and
Postfix and Procmail and... getting more and more
confused as I followed things that sorta made sense
in their contexts (nobody in any FAQ, HowTo or
mailing list thread was _ever_ trying to setup
something as _simple_ as what I wanted).

> Step 1: install the required packages.

Done with YaST.

> Step 2: configure postfix
> edit /etc/sysconfig/postfix and change
> POSTFIX_LOCALDOMAINS to include your
> email domain. For example if you have an email address
> foo@xxxxxxx it should
> be
>
> POSTFIX_LOCALDOMAINS="bar.com"

So that would be the ISP's domain, since I
don't have a domain (no DNS, no domain registered)
on my home network. So far, so good.

> also change POSTFIX_MDA so it reads
>
> POSTFIX_MDA=cyrus

I believe that happened when I chose Cyrus
during the YaST mail module process.

> Then run SuSEconfig --module postfix

Don't think I _ever_ did that explicitly.
It would've happened when I made changes
via YaST. But those config options were so
limited that I (read that I was required to)
made further config settings later, with pico
directly on main.cf.

If I edit the postfix configuration file(s)
I have to run SuSEconfig each time? Ah.
That would explain some of the mess.
Another problem with depending on YaST.

> Step 3: start cyrus and its authentication daemon
> rccyrus start
> rcsaslauthd start
>
> Step 4: restart postfix
> rcpostfix restart

OK. (He said, remembering that he did that, but not
remembering if he did it in May or in one of the
later attempts...)

> You now have a working mail/IMAP server.

Really? So, where has the mail been placed?
Does Cyrus do /Maildir format, MBox, or some other,
and, if more than one, at what point was it told
which one... and did fetchmail (or was that Postfix)
need to be told something different, depending on
which format Cyrus was going to use?

I seem to remember something about /Maildir/ (with
that trailing slash required) but I don't remember
if that was in Postfix config or Dovecot config.
So I'm _really_ not sure what goes where when you
are using Cyrus instead.

> At this point you need to create an
> account on the cyrus server. If you open an email client and
> configure as
> incoming account to point to the cyrus server, it will
> automagically create the account for you.

Too simple. I was trying to do the creation via the
config. Either I did it wrong, or I did it right and
then forgot to run SuSEConfig... or some third option
that nevertheless caused non-workum.

> However, by default the quota will be
> set to 10MB, which
> might be a little low for you( I know it is for me), so
> before you do this,
> you may want to edit /etc/imapd.conf and set autocreatequota:
> to something a little higher (it needs to be more than 0,
> otherwise the account won't be automatically created)

Ah. So Cyrus calls itself Cyrus in some cases and
just imap in other cases. That'd be a parallel concept
to Postfix presenting itself as sendmail... you do things
your own way, but present a standardized face (in the
case of postfix, the daemon name, and in the case of
Cyrus-IMAP, the name of the configuration file) to the
system? Hmm.

> Step 5: configure fetchmail
> either manually, if you know the config file syntax, or
> through the fetchmailconf GUI

I'm not facing it right now, so I can't remember all
the things that I had to guess what they meant in
the fetchmail configuration (whether via GUI or editor).
My first step was usually to go to the bottom of a
config file, to see what YaST might have inserted/appended,
before trying to figure out what to attempt next.
Of course, if the bulk of the problem was forgetting
to run SuSEConfig, then I tweaked a lot of stuff that
I needn't have done, out of increasing frustration.

> Step 6: run fetchmail
> If in the config you set it up as a daemon, run it as a
> daemon, otherwise
> set up a cron job to run it at regular intervals (not sure
> how specific I
> need to be about this step)

Maybe a little more, regarding what the differences
would have looked like in the fetchmail config file.

Also, can you briefly explain the advantages of either
choice?
Assume that if the machine is on, I want fetchmail
to be checking out my ISP for new mail on my account,
my wife's account, and at least one other, every ten
or twenty minutes.
That can be done with the daemon alive and waking
itself for a mail run at the specified intervals,
or with a cron job launching the executable at the
interval, then killing it after it completes... each
time?
Why one or the other, or have I misunderstood?

If there's stuff I should be checking, I'm currently
on a Windows machine, about a 15K walk from my home
Linux box (no remote access), so I'm working from memory just now.

Kevin