Re: [SLE] Need file share help!
  • From: Mike Adolf <mlnx@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:59:14 -0600
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 23:48, Basil Chupin wrote:
> stephan beal wrote:
> >>
> >> Cannot help out with samba but re the formatting- to share either use
> >> Fat16 or, better, FAT32. Linux can read ntfs but cannot (yet) write
> >> to it.
> >
> > Linux *can* write to ntfs (for many years it couldn't), but it's
> > "generally not recommended".
> >
> > Some links:
> >
> > http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
> > http://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/ntfs/
> > http://www.linux-ntfs.org/
>
> If it is only in the experimental stage then it is not a useful thing to
> tell someone who is probably a 'newbie' to format a partition in NTFS to
> be used in Linux. When you install SuSE it creates any NTFS partitions
> in fstab as "read only"; if linux could write to NTFS then there would
> not be this limitation.
>
> Cheers.
> Desiderius Erasmus

Greetings,

I would like to thank everyone for replying. Here is the final outcome.
I created a FAT32 partition for sharing with Windows. I mount the partition
with the following fstab options.

auto,exec,uid=1001,gid=100,umask=0000 1 2

This allows my XP user to write to it, even though a root process mounted it.

As for configuring SAMBA, I found a good writeup on setting up a local area
net containing Window and Linux machines, specifically suse 10.1. Here is
the url, should anyone else need assistance.

http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

The title is:
How To Samba With Suse 10.1 And Windows XP
by Eric Vaughan.

Mike