Re: [SLE] Need file share help!
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:54:18 +1000
Mike Adolf wrote:
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 23:48, Basil Chupin wrote:
stephan beal wrote:
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 03:38, Basil Chupin wrote:
Any Samba hints would also be appreciated.
Cannot help out with samba but re the formatting- to share either use
Fat16 or, better, FAT32. Linux can read ntfs but cannot (yet) write
to it.
Linux *can* write to ntfs (for many years it couldn't), but it's
"generally not recommended".

Some links:

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/ntfs/
http://www.linux-ntfs.org/
If it is only in the experimental stage then it is not a useful thing to
tell someone who is probably a 'newbie' to format a partition in NTFS to
be used in Linux. When you install SuSE it creates any NTFS partitions
in fstab as "read only"; if linux could write to NTFS then there would
not be this limitation.

Cheers.
Desiderius Erasmus

Greetings,

I would like to thank everyone for replying. Here is the final outcome.
I created a FAT32 partition for sharing with Windows. I mount the partition with the following fstab options.

auto,exec,uid=1001,gid=100,umask=0000 1 2

This allows my XP user to write to it, even though a root process mounted it.

As for configuring SAMBA, I found a good writeup on setting up a local area net containing Window and Linux machines, specifically suse 10.1. Here is the url, should anyone else need assistance.

http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm

The title is:
How To Samba With Suse 10.1 And Windows XP
by Eric Vaughan.

Now *this* is a most useful article! I just read the first para. and I think it may just help me with my problem with getting a printer on its own (Win XP) mini-server (Netgear) on the LAN working with SuSE. (I hope!)

Re the entry in fstabm, here is the entry in my fstab for SuSE 10.1 for a partition formatted in FAT32 I use as the go-between for XP and SuSE and created by SuSE during installation:

/dev/hdc10 /windows/N vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002, nls=utf8 0 0

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1