Re: [SLE] My /tmp is growing daily
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:04:03 +1000
Joachim Schrod wrote:
C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
Starting as abnormal directory my /tmp grows fast until it was again some 5017600 bytes.
When I want to look into this directory with midnight commander it takes its time to open the directory and what I found that apart from some other directories, there where 124830 alsa-dmix-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxx files all o byte. These files only took 11 bytes together but I suppose that just the administration of 124830 files takes a lot of place. This alsa-dmix zero file is made sometimes twenty or more times in a minute.

Could somebody explain what is happening?

I don't know what "fast growing" is? Within a day, or over several days? If it's the latter, /tmp is probably not cleaned up.

Then, edit /etc/sysconfig/cron and set MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP to clean up /tmp in regular intervals. E.g., set it to 7 or 14.

Check /var/tmp if it fills up as well. If yes, set MAX_DAYS_IN_LONG_TMP and LONG_TMP_DIRS_TO_CLEAR, too.

If your /tmp fills up within one day, you must search for the audio-related application that creates these many files. Then somebody else must help you, I don't do much audio on my workstation.

A while back someone - might even have been me - asked the question about how to clean out the /tmp directory so that it doesn't keep rubbish and get bigger. The answer I read I summarised for myself in the following manner:

* ALT-CTRL-F1 and logon as root

* telinit 1, and logon as root again

* then wipe out /tmp with "rm -rf /tmp/*" (without the quotes)

* telinit 5 to get back to normal user logon

Cheers.

--
This computer is environment-friendly and is running on OpenSuSE 10.1