Re: [SLE] Global Hotkeys in XMMS
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:51:40 -0400
On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 23:13 +0500, Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:
> Mike McMullin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 10:48 +0500, Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Before switching to Linux I was very very used to winamp and it's Global
> >> Hotkeys. So I could easily do my work and, for example, change song
> >> without being forced to switch to winamps window.
> >>
> >> XMMS replaced nearly all features I have been used in Winamp, but I
> >> still very very miss GH feature.
> >>
> >> Is there any plugin, or maybe it could be done with shell scripting?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Consider either Sven or lineak. Both will allow you to map "extra or
> > multi-media" keys to your application. Sven is currently being
> > re-written from what I've been told, but an older stable version ought
> > to do what you need.
> >

> Hi Mike,
>
> Are these another multimedia players? or they are some programs which
> will allow me to control XMMS? Can you provide me some links?

Hi Sergey,

They are not media players, but programs that allow you to execute a
program
(et al.) given a particular key press or key press combinations. Lineak
ships with 10.?, and you can use google.com/linux and look for Sven.
There is a page of sorts for lineak on sourceforge with some decent
info. Both of these programs allow you to use your extended or
MultiMedia keys, if they are recognized by X.
Some configuration is required of course. ;)