Re: [SLE] ntp client -- warning from yast
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:15:16 -0400
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 10:03 am, Robert Lewis wrote:
> /etc/init.d/ntp is where it is started.
> You could manually bring it up or write a front end to
> know if the network was up and then run it I suppose.
Actually, on bootup, as Bruce mentioned, ntpdate(1) is attempted, and this
is the guy who takes the time. There are a number of workable solutions:
1. The one I proposed. A bit complex.
2. The one Bruce Proposed. Requires a simple crontab entry.
3. Tell ntp not to start ntpdate. This can be done in Yast/System/Sysconfig
editor/Network/NTP/NTPD_INITIAL_NTPDATE. In this case, only the ntp daemon
will run, and this will not delay startup at all, and won't cause any
performance issues.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group