Re: [SLE] ntp client -- warning from yast
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:28:03 -0500
On 7/25/06, Peter Van Lone <petervl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
using SUSE10, when I went into yast to enable the ntp client, I am
warned about setting it to execute "on boot". The warning says:

"Warning! If you do not have a permanent internet connection, starting
the NTP daemon can take a very long time, and the daemon might not run
properly"

Huh?

So, if I have a laptop, that does not at all times have an inet
connection, basically I should not use the NTP client? Is there any
good way to, once an inet connection IS established, sync time to an
NTP server?

Yast seems to only give "never" and "on boot" as ntp sync options. If
there is a command I can execute from a shell, that would be fine.

Peter

You may as well try using /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d and
if-down.d. Or for per interface control - ifservices-xxxx. man ifup
and man ifservices for more info.

Put in these directories scripts which start/stop ntpd when and
interface is started/stopped.

Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)

Windows is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit graphical shell for an 8-bit
operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor by a
2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.