[SLE] cp and hardlinks
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:06:52 +0100
I'm trying to get cp to copy some directory structures that contain hard links (yes, yet another backup scenario). cp has two features that seem nice:

(1) It can copy structures with hardlinks correctly (--preserve=links or perhaps even just -d)

(2) It can copy incremented structures. That is, if you copy a structure, then you add some more to the source structure, then copy the structure again, it will handle it.

But it looks like (1) and (2) don't coexist. If some new files are hardlinks to old ones, they aren't linked in the copy.

Does anybody know a way to make this work?

Thanks, Dave

PS Before anybody says "use rsync", I was, but ... there are rather a lot of files. I had to give it 12 GB of swap space to build its list and it was taking well over 24 hours to run. I can't give it 24 hours :(