[SLE] Yast and Zen have different idea about updates?
  • From: Don Raboud <don.raboud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:05:22 -0600
Hi all,

I have noticed a situation in which both Yast and Zen see the same packages,
but give different indications about which is the most up-to-date.

According to the Zen updater, there is an update available for kipi-plugins.
(I know this update has been available for some time now, but I have not
updated it yet).

According to the Zen details,
update version: 0.1.0rc1-19
installed version: 0.1.0_0.1-1.pm.1

However, I have been doing most of my updates through Yast. When I look at
this package in Yast Online Update, I see the following versions are
available
0.1.0rc1-19 (from the DVD)
0.1.0_0.1-1.pm.1 (from Packman) <-- Installed version

According to Yast however, there is no update available. The installed
version is the most up-to-date.

So I have two questions...
1) Which of these is correct?
2) Is this a bug in either Zen or Yast, or is this a problem specific to the
kipi-plugins package.

For anyone interested (not a large number I am quite sure), I have included
some additional information below which, while possibly related, doesn't
really change any issues raised above.

----------------
In Yast Online Update, under Change log for kipi-plugins-0.1.0_0.1-1.pm.1 the
first listing is an update to 0.1.0-rc1 in Nov 2005 which seems to indicate
that 0.1.0_0.1-1.pm.1 supercedes 0.1.0-rc1.
However, according to <http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kipi/>
"The most stable KipiPlugins tarball is version 0.1.0-rc2"
So this would seem to indicate that Zen got this right in this situation (see
below).

As a final note, there is another version 0.1.0rc2-11.4 from

<http://software.opensuse.org/download/KDE:/Backports/SUSE_Linux_10.1/i586/>

which also shows up under Yast but not under Zen because that repository does
not seem to be listed when I run "rug sl". I didn't include this in the
above since that behavior didn't change if I remove this repository from
Yast. Yast still indicates that 0.1.0_0.1-1.pm.1 is the most up to date.

--
Don