[SLE] Novell's official position on binary only kernel modules
  • From: "Osho GG" <oshogg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:10:01 -0700
Hi,

I recently read a Ottawa Linux Symposium talk report by Greg
Kroah-Hartman (SuSE Labs/Novell) which is at:

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

The precise wording of Novell's policy is:

Novell's Official Position

Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
modules ot be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this
position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part
of future products.

February 9, 2006

Does this mean we won't see ATI/NVidia's graphics drivers in their
future releases? How much of the current hardware will be impacted by
such a policy?

thanks,
Osho