[SLE] Re: SUSE10.1 broken graphics
  • From: Masaru Nomiya <nomiyac360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:25:46 +0900
Hello Basil,

Basil> Along came v10.1 and I cannot configure it by using all the correct
Basil> ways of configuring a monitor- ie, using the Horizontal and Vertical
Basil> frequencies.

What is 'all the correct ways'?

In my experience, Sax2 or Yast2 didn't get the exact monitor's information.

BTW< I'm using SUSE 10.0, though.
Sax doesn't work properly with ATI driver.
So, I edited xorg.conf with Emacs, and haven't got any problem.

Basil> The only way I can get it work properly is to select the Vesa monitor
Basil> and the default settings after selecting the resolution I want. Doing
Basil> anything else "breaks" the monitor and all I end up looking at is
Basil> garbage.

Do you?

What is the difference between the non-correct xorg.conf and the correct
one?
Did you checked?

Basil> Re the 68Hz versus 60Hz refresh rate.

So, I wrote 'generally speaking'.
That is, as you might know, there doesn't exist the refresh rate for LCD.
But, LCD maker optimizes the LCD display's control circuit seeing LCD
display as a CRT display with 60Hz refresh rate.

As you point out, the spec is shown as follows;

*1024x768@68 Maximum Resolution

At this point, I wondering....

That is, for LCD display, we do must avoid the too high refresh rate.
Unless, it give damages to LCD display.

Regards,

---
Masaru Nomiya mail-to: nomiyac360 @ mg.point.ne.jp

"No Windows, no gains!" ..... "Why, I am wrong?"

-- Bill --