Re: [SLE] Zen messes up system.
  • From: PatrickM <mop48836@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:35:35 +0100
James Knott wrote:
> I've noticed what appears to be a severe problem with Zen. On at least
> 4 or 5 occasions, on 3 different systems, after running an update, the
> desktop can no longer be started. Sax2 -r doesn't correct the problem
> and I've only been able to recover by reinstalling. This occurs on both
> 32 & 64 bit versions, running KDE
>
> Any idea how to recover from this, without reinstalling?

Hi James,

might be that the ZEN update updated your kernel(s).

If you have NVidia cards, just read this note from NVidia:

IMPORTANT: You need to recompile and install the nvidia kernel module
after each kernel update.

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run -K

You do this at runlevel 3 (where you seem to be), in the path where you
have your NVidia .run
(The driver you downloaded (?) from NVidia)

There might be other solutions, but try at least on one machine and see
if this works.

HTH,

Cheers,
PatrickM