Re: [SLE] Using local update mirror during install of 10.1
  • From: Mark Gray <markgray-aka-agrajag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 31 Jul 2006 11:23:59 -0400
Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 01:15:28PM -0400, Mark Gray wrote:
>> While a brief bout of googling revealed how to add a local update
>> mirror after install using rug, I could find no mention of how to
>> specify a local mirror for updates during the initial install of
>> the boxed set of SUSE-10.1. With a lot of computers to install on,
>> this would be most useful, especially since doing an update during
>> the install seems to be the cleanest way to fix 10.1's update bug.

>> (My apologies if this is a FAQ as I have been too busy to read
>> mailing lists lately.)

> During Installation its quite difficult to change and not easily
> possible (i tried by changing /etc/hosts in the background to my
> testmachine). (suseRegister pushes the urls pretty directly into
> yast)

> Later it is possible.

> In 10.2 it will be a bit easier (in 10.2 alpha you can edit
> /etc/suse_register.conf to set the urls explicitly).

I may give Alpha 3 (and those following) a try. Right now I am going
to use a perl script I wrote which does a:

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME} %{VERSION}\n'

and then performs a rpm -Uvh on all the rpm's in my mirror which do
not match the installed version. Much faster and easier to do than
monkey about with zen-updater or yast online_update. (I will post the
script if anyone is interested (but since it has to run as root, I
would suggest it only be used by people who know enough perl to write
their own script :))