Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Manfred Tremmel <Manfred.Tremmel@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:48:22 +0200
Am Samstag, 22. Juli 2006 14:19 schrieb Pascal Bleser:

> Because I (and Packman, and the nice people who host all that) am
> willing to take the risk and because it's still a little bit of a
> "legal grey zone". If it was very clear that it is illegal, I
> wouldn't do so (well, ok, the mad patent vs GPL issue makes it pretty
> much illegal, but so what).

Another thing is, we are no company, there is no money to get and it's
no good publicity to inform against non profit organisations.
We also have no Boxes to take back when there are legal problems, we
simply have to delete a package from our Servers. It's a little bit
like the Multimedia packages SUSE has provided for SUSE 9.3 with MP3
support and so on.

> The situation is somewhat different for Novell. It's a company, and
> it's located in the US, where it only takes some idiot to put his cat
> into a microwave oven to sue the business that sells it.
> Novell just doesn't want to take the risk of getting sued.

And here in Europe we do not have Software Patents, that makes it much
easier for us. A free implementation of a videocodec which is patented
in US, is no problem in Germany, so it's legal here. SUSE want's to
sell the boxes all over the world, so they have to take care of all
laws arround the countries they sell the boxes.

--
Machs gut | http://www.iivs.de/schwinde/buerger/tremmel/
Manfred | http://www.knightsoft-net.de