Re: [opensuse] Re: MiniSUSE project page.
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:27:25 +0200

jdd wrote:
> Pascal Bleser wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid you are dreaming of something that is not technically
>> feasible :\
>
> technically, all is feasible :-) - just a matter of willness.

Sorry, don't take this personally, but that's the dumbest statement in
IT. No, technically, not everything is feasible.

Compare this with engineering: what you are aiming for is pretty much
like building a bridge that's 1km long but only sustained by one leg, at
one end.
Oh yeah, technically it's feasible, if you find a way to zero attraction
physics.

> and I think this is very important. I have now ~ 8Gg of SUSE Linux
> installed and I'm sure 75% is unusefull. this must be addressed.

That's a wrong point to start with.
Do you _actually_ know, for real, how much of it is useless ?
You're saying 75%, but I would say 20%.
Without any real investigations and analysis on that, it's just a wrong
hypothesis to start with. And analyzing that is very, very tedious and
complex.

> of course I won't say how, but I'm pretty sure this will need a
> collaboration between developpers, packagers and distribution makers.

Indeed. And let me tell you that this already almost never works for
much simpler things :\

> Your comments seemed very acurate, thanks

Just trying to bring some technical background into the discussion.

cheers
- --