Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:19:22 +0200

Thomas Hertweck wrote:
> Pascal Bleser wrote:
>> [...]
>> It's not possible, because most community repositories (at least Packman
>> and mine) contain packages that Novell cannot link to, for legal reasons
>> (e.g. packages like lame, mad, ...). Well, actually, it's for potential
>> patent infringement problems (not copyright issues).
>>
>> Yes, even *linking* or referencing the Packman or guru (or whatever)
>> repository is a potential problem for Novell.
>
> If it's a problem for Novell to provide a simple link to your repository
> (or the packman repository), why are you allowed to publish the packages
> mentioned above? Because you're not a company?

Because I (and Packman, and the nice people who host all that) am
willing to take the risk and because it's still a little bit of a "legal
grey zone". If it was very clear that it is illegal, I wouldn't do so
(well, ok, the mad patent vs GPL issue makes it pretty much illegal, but
so what).

The situation is somewhat different for Novell. It's a company, and it's
located in the US, where it only takes some idiot to put his cat into a
microwave oven to sue the business that sells it.
Novell just doesn't want to take the risk of getting sued.

The "risks" I (and others) are taking for the good of the users is
certainly not comparable by any means.

cheers
- --