Re: [opensuse] Cluster and SuSE
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:37:24 +0200

Yu Safin wrote:
> I currently have an application that runs Oracle under one SuSE server
> and Java in-house code in another SuSE server.
> I was wondering if anybody can suggest a cluster solution so I can
> have my Java code duplicated in two+ SuSE servers.

What is that in-house Java application ? Running in a servlet container
(e.g. Tomcat), an EJB container (e.g. JBoss), ... ?

You should consider two things:
1) a cluster software to provide high availability of the cluster nodes
themselves (most importantly: heartbeat checking between the nodes +
migrating the cluster's IP address (the "VIP")) - I use heartbeat [1]
for that, works nicely and necessary RPMs are shipped with SUSE Linux

2) cluster your Java application: you can do that with Tomcat and JBoss
(and Weblogic, and Websphere, and Glassfish, and ...)

[1] http://www.linux-ha.org/

> How about Oracle, can I cluster Oracle to run on two+ servers?
> I am trying to achieve not only higher availability but also put to
> work some hardware servers I have on the floor collecting dust.

You _can_ cluster Oracle, but... you'll have to set up Oracle RAC, which
is both very complex *and* very expensive (different license fees).

cheers
- --