Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 01:34:30 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006, Pascal Bleser wrote:
Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx> [Jul 20. 2006 15:10]:
Torsdag 20 juli 2006 14:13 skrev Daniel Bertolo:

I second this. The strength of Ubuntu is package management.
I agree, but "package management" covers a lot of ground - let's try to be
more specific.

I think it's not so much yast/zen/rug being bad is the issue - now that they
work - and hopefully they'll have better performance in 10.2..

I think mostly what's a problem is finding and managing repos. It would help a
lot if more of the 3rd party repos could join under the packman umbrella
perhaps.

I'd like to see some specific enhancement requests in bugzilla
for this.

A bugzilla ticket for community repositories to join Packman ...? huh? oO

The problem is, once again, legal.

It was pretty much the first thing I tried to address in the scope of
openSUSE.org

It's not possible, because most community repositories (at least Packman
and mine) contain packages that Novell cannot link to, for legal reasons
(e.g. packages like lame, mad, ...). Well, actually, it's for potential
patent infringement problems (not copyright issues).

Yes, even *linking* or referencing the Packman or guru (or whatever)
repository is a potential problem for Novell.

I think it is supposed to be checked by Novell's legal dept but is still
pending since half a year. I might be wrong though, I know I asked
Adrian about it not so long ago, but I don't remember what the state was
(just back from 3 weeks holidays, I flushed my brain from anything
computer-related ;)).

Some time ago, Richard Bos had started to fill a "link directory" with symlinks to "other" apt repositories at ftp.gwdg.de. This got not continued for months, but could give the solution.

See the idea at http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/rmd/ - all "leafs" are symlinks only.

Cheers -e