Re: [opensuse] XFCE4
  • From: Scott Jones <scottj.org@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:43:23 -0500
On Thursday 20 July 2006 16:34, M.Blackmore wrote:

> I'm really not technical at all, so don't know how or if it is possible,
> to put in the Suse menu button onto xfce4, so one can point and click to
> bring up a list of programs and tools.
>
> Anyone know how/if this can be done?

Not a SUSE menu, per se, but in the menu tab of the Desktop settings dialog
one can edit the Desktop menu (or run xfce4-menueditor directly). Uncheck
the box in the "--- include --- system" and you'll get a much bigger menu
when you right-click on the desktop that includes any apps that follow XDG
guidelines in placing their .desktop files in the proper place(s). Adding
the Xfce menu to the panel will duplicate this.

Just a warning, though. Using this will cause xfdesktop to consume a bit more
memory as icons get cached, though disabling application icons will reduce
the hit, both in the desktop menu and the panel menu. I haven't checked out
the 4.4 betas, so I don't know how successfully this has been addressed.