Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:12:37 +0200
Hi,

Thomas Hertweck schrieb:
>> [...]
>> And it's still often considered to be "more free" or "more open", which
>> I tend to find rather unfair sometimes.
>
> Is this really what the end user is worried about?

No, probably not, and nobody stated that.

I'm just trying to explain *why* the user's winmodem didn't work in a
default installation and *why* it will probably not work better in
future default installations of (open)SUSE, and actually I doubt that
other distributors can continue with proprietary kernel modules in the
same way they are currently distributing them. Maybe one or two years,
but not more. The "pressure" from actual Linux contributors and
copyright holders (not users) is too high.

The situation with the packages from CD6 is different because none of
them is considered to be in violation of any free software license, but
the proprietary kernel modules are, and very few users seem to be aware
of that. This was not meant to be a philosophical statement about the
pros and cons of distributing proprietary applications - especially
since (open)SUSE *does* distribute proprietary applications - but about
the legal situation of proprietary kernel modules in particular.

Let's hope that, at least for winmodems, ALSA will solve the problem
even better in the future than it does currently,

Andreas Hanke