Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:16:51 +0200
Hi,

Kenneth Schneider schrieb:
> Hmmm..
>
> Didn't I just suggest this very idea at 7:51 am and received no
> response?

Not exactly. easyurpmi is a web-based tool which returns a configuration
that can be imported into the package manager, and not a feature that is
implemented directly in the package manager itself.

> This is the very thing that is needed with in YaST/PM

The problem with doing this inside YaST is that YaST would need a little
bit of knowledge about the repositories. And this is difficult because
the really "interesting" repositories are problematic: Either they are
unsupported (build service) or legally questionable (3rd party
multimedia stuff). Pointers to either one of them inside the product are
not acceptable.

What I would like is an easier way to extend the installation sources
setup than "You have to click here, and then you have to click there,
and finally you have to split the repository URL into protocol, server
name and directory parts" together with a web-based tool that can output
a machine-readable installation sources setup.

Besides that, having at least the complete and legally unproblematic
standard HTTP/FTP inst_source available in a default installation would
be nice. Maybe the required setup could be done together with setting up
the update source during the installation.

Andreas Hanke