Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:23:09 -0600

> Dominik Jais schrieb:
> > The big problem using the SUSE Package Management is the
> > resolve of dependencies over the Internet. Installation of
> > one program is okay, but unresolved dependencies are not
> > solved over the net. Thats the big benefit of Apt.
>
> I don't understand this statement. YaST/zypp is/are definitely able to
> resolve dependencies, no matter if the sources are local or remote.
>
> If there are unresolved dependencies, your installation sources setup is
> not complete. That is, there are sources which depend on each other, and
> only parts of them are known to your YaST/zypp setup.
>
> I think it's more a documentation problem: The information about which
> sources depend on each other is not presented prominently enough. It's
> not true that YaST/zypp don't resolve dependencies.
>
> Normally I would now ask you for the output of "installation_sources -s"
> and tell you which additional sources you need. But unfortunately, the
> "installation_sources" command is gone in 10.1 :(

I think this is a preceived problem rather than a real one. In the past
you would get a screen with most if not all the problems and could make
choices really quickly that seemed to go through the list. Now is is more
of a one at a time. Even with the test version from aj. I have to go
through manu screens to get every thing cleared. Before I would have only
one maybe two screens. I often have to answer the same question multiple
times. Even if I choose generally instead of this one time.

- --
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>