Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:07:17 +0200
Hi,

Dominik Jais schrieb:
> The big problem using the SUSE Package Management is the
> resolve of dependencies over the Internet. Installation of
> one program is okay, but unresolved dependencies are not
> solved over the net. Thats the big benefit of Apt.

I don't understand this statement. YaST/zypp is/are definitely able to
resolve dependencies, no matter if the sources are local or remote.

If there are unresolved dependencies, your installation sources setup is
not complete. That is, there are sources which depend on each other, and
only parts of them are known to your YaST/zypp setup.

I think it's more a documentation problem: The information about which
sources depend on each other is not presented prominently enough. It's
not true that YaST/zypp don't resolve dependencies.

Normally I would now ask you for the output of "installation_sources -s"
and tell you which additional sources you need. But unfortunately, the
"installation_sources" command is gone in 10.1 :(

Andreas Hanke