Re: [opensuse] The state of openSUSE
  • From: SOTL <s0tl155360@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:47:51 -0400
Clayton wrote:

¿Why Ubuntu is more popular tha SUSE despite thier young life?

Maybe the response of that question can help the grow and improving of our
community.

One HUGE factor with EVERYONE I know that uses Ubuntu or Kubuntu is...

That it will install on almost any laptop.

_package_management_.

Package management - this is bull - typical developer thinking which has nothing to do with users.

Ubuntu uses apt with the Synaptic front end.
It's simple and easy to use. Several potential new users I've coached
in Linux have tried out a few distributions including SUSE, and
settled on Ubuntu (or Kubuntu), and when I ask why... they say that
SUSE was great, easy to install and use right up until they tried to
use the package management tools.

YaST was/is a brilliant installer, but once you want to manage 3rd
party apps... SUSE falls to pieces for a new user. Ubuntu/Kubuntu
comes with Synaptic preconfigured and ready to go. A new user simply
has to start it up, click a few things as explained in easy to read
instructions and they are up and running with literally thousands of
applications avaiilable to be installed. They can even easily upgrade
to the next major release with Synaptic.

Compare that to SUSE... you get YaST with is OK for managing apps on
the DVD/CDs. If you want to add in 3rd party applications, the
instructions for how to do this are spotty and almost impossible to
follow (if you've never done it before). You can try out SMART, but
again... horrible documentation, and loads of places where things go
completely wrong (for an inexperienced user).

Thanks goes out to "Guru" for providing a repack of SMART/SMART-GUI
with the 3rd perty repositories already preconfigured. I can provide
my friends a simple step by step how-to to download the Smart stuff
from the Guru site and get up and running with being able to install
apps... and still, even with the repack, Smart - for a new user
unfamiliar with Linux - is unweildy and confusing.

Otherwise - based on feedback I've received from new users - SUSE and
Ubuntu stack up fairly well against each other.

So... I'll say it again... package management... it's very badly
implemented in SUSE from the standpoint of a new user (who wants to
add something not included on the DVD). Most of use here probably
don't even realise it since we're used to rpm -ivh at the CLI, or can
adapt to the rather odd eccentricities of Zen and/or Smart. We (as a
group) have lost touch with the users who are unfamiliar with SUSE
and/or Linux in general.

One thing that is working well... if a new user clicks on an rpm link
on a webpage, the Zen package manager does a nice neat job of
installing the RPM for them. But.. this doesn't solve the issue of
the 3rd party software repositories... the place where Ubuntu really
thrashes SUSE.

Of course this is all a combination of my opinion, and observations of
new users struggling to move away from Windows... YMMV and all that.

C.

.