Re: [opensuse] NTFS-G3
  • From: Andreas Hanke <andreas.hanke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:28:37 +0200
Hi,

Philip Amadeo Saeli schrieb:
> Could someone please give me some pointers to more info on this. I've
> googled for "NTFS-G3" and only came up with two postings (one in "web"
> (Vietnamese), and one in "groups" (Chinese)), neither of which I can
> read. Also, a search of the linux-ntfs.org site, including its Wiki and
> forums didn't turn up anything I recognized as relevent.

The download link

http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfs-3g-20070714-BETA.tgz

is everything that exists right now. It contains the software, a README
file with installation instructions (trivial) and the known limitations.
There is not much more documentation about it right now.

The linux-ntfs.org guys are very busy people, they just don't have the
time to document their knowledge and their progress (which is one of the
reasons why there are so many rumours and not facts about the NTFS
situation on Linux being spread).

You can find a very short announcement on linux-ntfs.org in the "Project
updates" section and a short mailing list discussion at

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=23836054&forum_id=2697

To summarize it briefly:

- It's an enhanced fork of the "ntfsmount" implementation (SUSE
distributes this in the "ntfsprogs-fuse" package)

- It's currently a fork, but will probably be merged back into the
regular ntfsprogs release once it is considered ready

- It's not a kernel module, but implemented in user-space using FUSE

- It still has some limitations, but in these cases it will just refuse
the operation instead of trashing the filesystem

- Since it's not an external kernel module, installing it is as simple
as "./configure; make; make install", and this will even survive kernel
updates

- Backup your data before using it.

Andreas Hanke