Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (2831 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse] Re: MiniSUSE project page.
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:53:39 +0200
  • Message-id: <44AFD503.5090204@xxxxxxxxx>
Rajko M wrote:

Basic for MiniSUSE is that it is intended for machines with
small memory footprint (64-128MB RAM) even lesser if possible.
The desktops were first in mind, but small low traffic servers, are good idea too. They don't need GUI for applications, They need very basic OS and few software packages.

Look at http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE#Usage Profiles

there is effectively a great interest for mini personal servers, specially with second hand faulty laptops.

My own is a laptop with a broken screen, no more battery nor fan :-(

I don't need screen 99% of the time (and can connect a CRT the other 1%), I have got a $10 UPS (and a new $20battery for it) and a big fan glued under the laptop box (with a large hole for air flow :-).

this one is a PII with 256Mb ram, runs 10.0 easily, but I wonder if I wan 10.2 that 256Mb ram should be just.

and I have also a sublaptop P233 that had initially 12Mb ram, then 80Mb and hopefully I was given for free a 128Mb chip, so I have now 146Mb ram (most laptops have one soldered ram chip and so can only change one)

This last latop is completely new (that is never used), fitted with 12Gb HD and all PCMCIA + USB

it can't boot the pcmcia cd, so the various hacks I had to setup.

and I know of countries with 386 computers (but there, no hope, Linux on a 386 is only a challenge)

:-)


may be the first thing I will do is to collect various infos on the way of booting/installing with a machine that can't boot cd. The info IS on the wiki, but may be not so easy to find.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://dodin.org/galerie_photo_web/expo/index.html
http://lucien.dodin.net
http://fr.susewiki.org/index.php?title=Gérer_ses_photos

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups