[opensuse] Re: Where can I find the Image of the Handout DVD?
  • From: email.listen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 16:08:17 +0200
Am Wed, 5. July 2006 09:45 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
> Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
The only DVD I know of is the Ubuntu Dapper Drake DVD.
It is a dvd which may be used for installation and as live dvd.
Installation may be done on boot up (the old fashioned way) or from a running
live session using a graphical installer.

Under the aspect of 'playing' I would say ubuntu is worth a closer look.

May be you friend was thinking of this dvd (may be he muddled ubuntu and
opensuse by mistake) when he pointed you to opensuse.

> >> what do you call "the handout dvd"?
> >>
> >> we have dvd iso (installable) and live dvd (not installable)
> >>
> >> there is around on magazines a dvd live that is also installable, but
> >> not from us
> >
> > I know of the two, but the person I was talking with said Novell gave out
> > CD/DVD much like the live dvd but was able to be installed. Much like
> > what I have been told is on some magazines. He was not sure which event
> > he attended that they were handed out. He was able to use the live
> > portion to partition the HD and then do the install to it. He was not
> > really familar with SUSE Linux, but was very impressed with this ability.
> > This is really what I am seaking. Use the CD/DVD to test the hardware to
> > make sure everything works, then install it to the system being tested.
>
> That's a DVD that contains two ISOs - the live DVD and the installable
> DVD with a changed loader to choose between them.
>
> You can get each piece separatly but there's not much sense in adding
> another 4 GB on the ftp mirrors,

Here You will find the installation documentation from a live session:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

And here the download link for

ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/

kubuntu, a KDE based flavour of ubuntu
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/dvd/current/

xubuntu, a xfce4 based ubuntu flavour. Good for old fashioned hardware:
(installation image)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/daily/current/
(live cd)
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/daily-live/current/