Re: [opensuse] SUSE Linux versus opensuse linux naming
  • From: scsijon <scsijon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:57:54 +1000
At 11:18 PM 28/06/2006, you wrote:
--snip--

> We will likely rename "it" for 10.2 anyway.

Marcus is correct. At corporate marketing discussions are ongoing to rename
SUSE Linux with 10.2. The project name stays as is and the distribution will
be renamed. Afaik openSUSE is on the short-list.

The confusion with openSUSE.org, the project and SUSE Linux, the distribution
is obvious outside and even inside Novell. Nobody catches intuitively what is
what. And we have an issue with the difference between Novell business
products and the community edition. This is confusing for business customers.

> Ciao, Marcus

Personally i'd like it to become

Novell SuSE - for the "Commercial" Version
and
OpenSuSE - for the "Communities's" Version

these would then show that there from the same base (a very important point) but
are created with a different "mindset" of reach.

scsijon
ps Mind you, i'd also like to be able to "donate" into the OpenSuSE communities
coffers when I wanted to, or need a quickfix to ocurr so that a programmer or
whatever can be paid to fix something that was not an urgent problem overall
and thus "low priority", but is one to a small group of users.