Re: [SLE] New install while keeping /home
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 10:39:11 -0400
On Monday 01 May 2006 7:47 am, Dirk Gorissen wrote:

> My question:
> - Is selecting the mount point of /home to point to my home partition
> during install enough (and setting format to off of course)? Can I trust
> yast to leave my existing /home/dgorissen alone?
The simple answer is YES as others have said. I have done this many times.
Once you have chosen your mount points, simply make sure that the /home file
system is not selected to be formatted. The default for existing partitions
is generally not to format.

One thing I do before installation is to either print out my /etc/fstab, or
simply list what file systems are on each physical disk/partition. In my
case at home I have my /home, /usr/local and several other file systems
maintained separately that I do not format.

The downside is that those systems themselves may be older versions of
ReiserFS. Usually, that is not an issue.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group